We are yet to commence a full study of the history of the area but some details are known and others have been suggested. That information is set out below without warrant as to its exact accuracy. Any information that you may be able to provide in writing will be greatly appreciated.
Mangrove Creek was first settled in the early 1800s, certainly in the 1820s but possibly as early as 1807. The area became part of the food bowl for Sydney town with all supplies coming in by river and produce being boated out to Sydney.
Dubbo Gully is the site of some of the earliest settlements on the Central Coast and, through a convict trail linking with the Great North Road, was the gateway for road travel from Sydney to the Coast. Fairview Homestead was built in 1922 by Alfred John Andrews but another building pre-dated Fairview and is thought to have been built circa 1860.
The homestead is built on 50 acres of land originally purchased from the government at auction by Captain John Jenkins Peacock on 18 January 1836.
Other grants to Peacock and later additional purchases by Alfred Andrews increased the property size over many years.
After Peacock, ownership of the land passed to Frederick Park, John Andrews and later to Alfred John Andrews.
John Andrews built a small cottage on the hill and his son Alfred later erected Fairview in 1922. Part of the original building remains alongside Fairview and, for many years, was used as the main kitchen.
John Andrews, Alfred’s father, arrived in Australia in 1832 and, we think, moved into Lower Mangrove in the 1860’s.
Alfred’s wife, Amanda, was a descendant of first fleeter Matthew Everingham, and this link to history now passes to all descendants of the Andrews and many other local families.
Prior to roads and railways, the only land access to the central coast was via the Great North Road and Simpson’s Track into Ten Mile hollow where Fairview stands. Fairview often provided accommodation and sustenance to weary travellers on their way through the valley.